Friday, November 23, 2012

Day 26: The Colleague at Work

I've worked my share of dead-end and unrewarding jobs in my life, and since I've started my own business, I've realized that working for a company or other people wasn't all that fun. Or meaningful. Or lucrative. It seems to me now life a series of prison sentences where I was stuck in one place for 8 hours a day having to deal with all kinds of people, most I tried to like, but were often annoying or hideously rude (which is what you get when you work in "customer service."
I always loved that term, "customer service," where one "services" "customers." But rude and clueless customers were only one part of the equation of why I hated so many of those kind of jobs. The other half of my tale of woe belongs to my coworkers.

Ah, my colleagues and managers. There have been some that I became quite fond of, and others that I've thankfully forgotten and others who were just jackasses that I seriously would have liked to kill them.

But you have to work with others. No escaping that. I just wish they were sitting in a cubicle on the other side of the building.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to be annoyed at people I worked with.
I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself for wanting to get away from some people I worked with.
I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to judge these coworkers for getting in my way and making my job harder.
I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to judge the managers who I worked for to be clueless about what went on in their own store.
I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to have "favorites" of who I worked with and others who were not my favorites.
I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself for thinking that other workers were lazy.
I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself for being aloof towards some coworkers I didn't want to get to know me.

I commit myself to not engage in secret mind banter about my coworkers.
I commit myself to not engage in forming secret mind groupings where I place people I like and people I don't like in separate groups.
I commit myself to be more tolerant of stranger I have to work with and not hold judgments about them in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment