Sunday, September 2, 2012

Day19: Apolitical

My political views have shifted during my time here on Planet Earth. I was born into a patently Democratic family for the most part. When I have voted, it's been either for Independents or Democrats. The last Presidential election I participated in was waaaay back in 1984 when I voted for whoever was running against Ronald Reagan (some stiff called Walter Mondale who lost nearly every state in the election).

But I noticed something in the years that followed. It seemed that the Democrats weren't all that different from the Republicans in the way they went about their business, that business being mostly looking out for their own asses first. I started looking at other political  perspectives to find one that was aligned to my way of thinking.

Well, that was a bit daunting, as the American political flavors only come in two kinds of Vanilla. I began studying libertarianism, which at first seemed like the answer to my prayers. But as I began communicating with them through various message boards I realized that a lot of them were assholes, mainly Republicans who wanted to legally get high, not pay taxes and purchase their own highways.

I moved further to the left - which wasn't all that surprising since I would never move to the right - and found some voices that spoke to me. Emma Goldman. P.J. Proudhon. Karl Marx. Voltairine de Cleyre,  and Noam Chomsky. I had been frozen solid by the voices of anarchism. I spent a year or so delving into anarchist thought until I read Bob Black and the post-anarchists. By now I am pissed - because I realized that anarchism was just as big of a dead end as the democratic and republican capitalist parties. While the anarchists made some very cogent points, such as the incompatibility of capitalism and liberty because of the crypto-authoritarianism of the market, their political dreams were as unworkable as the systems they rightfully criticized. I found myself in a conceptual pickle. There was really no visionary, effective or workable  political framework that could address or solve the problems that we currently face. That is, until the Equal Money point emerged.

But there's something I have to get off my chest. I was political snob. I disliked people who identified themselves as Democrats, Republicans, Independents, Tea-baggers, Libertarian, whatever. In the past I would have said that they were all more dumber than a bag of rocks, which of course, wouldn't be fair to rocks. In the past, while I carried very profound political opinions, I stopped voting. I stopped because I felt that the political game was rigged. You have to be a millionaire to even run for office. You certainly have to be well-connected and agreeable to all kinds of shady, corrupting deals along the way. I just didn't want to be a part of it. I was even leery of Mr. Hope Obama when he ran for president. However, I have recently realized that it is essential to become more politically involved - now more than ever. Why? Because it's the only way to change this fucked-up system - from within. It's admittedly a long shot, but it's got to be better than being apathetic and doing nothing.

In this year's Presidential election where Obama and Romney are set to duke it out, I feel that apathetic feeling again. But maybe I'll write in Ralph Nader...


I forgive myself that I accepted and allowed myself to believe that engaging the political process was an exercise in futility, as it seemed to me that nothing ever changed for the better. If you don't play the game yo can't affect the outcome.
I forgive myself that I accepted and allowed myself to succumb to feelings of hopelessness which led me to become politically apathetic and irrelevant.
I forgive myself that I accepted and allowed myself to resist to participating in the political process because I didn't trust any party enough to even want to participate.
I forgive myself that I accepted and allowed myself to become disillusioned with politics because of my perception that the process does more harm than good.
I forgive myself that I accepted and allowed myself to resist all political perspectives as "stupid," "venal" and "corrupt."
I forgive myself that I accepted and allowed myself to believe that all politicians are primarily concerned about their own self-interest rather than achieving solutions for their constituents.
I forgive myself that I accepted and allowed myself that politics have become "evil" and a destroyer of humanity.
I forgive myself that I accepted and allowed myself to distrust every word that falls from the lips of politicians, because of my belief that they say nothing but lies that allow them to be entrenched in their seats of power.
I forgive myself that I accepted and allowed myself to believe, even so briefly, that the political perspective of anarchy could be a viable alternative to what currently passes for politics.

I realized later that anarchy is an unworkable theory that sounds good on paper but could never be used in the form advanced by anarchists and libertarians. I realized that there will have to be some kind of central planning to keep society together because people are too programmed to exist in a de-centered society the libertarians and anarchist fancy. It was a revelation when working on the Equal Money how simple the solution is, and yet how much fear and resistance the concept Equal Money can generate within people. It seems most humans do not want what's best for all if it's thought to override what is best for self. This is kind of like a self-hypnosis that blocks off the simplicity and grace of equality from consideration - even in smart, intelligent people. So for this reason I commit myself to spreading the Gospel of Equality all over the Internet until it comes to fruition. And that also means becoming politically involved.

Can I get One Vote for the Equality Party?




No comments:

Post a Comment